Monday 29 October 2012

To salute the sun, or not to salute the sun...

Ok, ok, I get it. Your signals are clear, and I am at last heeding your warnings.

So please, my dear body, stop the damn leg cramps!

I know I’ve avoided exercise for the last 3 years. Oh, boy, do I know it. Every time I walk up a set of stairs I know it.

Damn you, stairs.

I get that the weight I’ve slowly accumulated around my thighs is a direct result of my lack of exercise. And also a lot of sitting on my arse at computers and on lounges in front of televisions. I guess the weight is acting as padding to make these activities more comfortable? Very smart, body, but also a very good warning sign. I mean, if you feel the need to make sitting for extended periods more comfortable for my butt, it’s pretty clear that I’m doing too much of it.

Waaaaay too much of it.

Except the bits involving watching Bones or Greys Anatomy. Very important.

And the cramps you’re shooting through my thighs, oh body of mine, are a very very clear sign that I need to be more active. Well...active. I don’t think you can be more of something if you are not that something in the first place.

Anyway.

I solemnly swear that, today, I shall begin my mission to be more active. I shall do physical activities other than housework (which, let’s face it, I would rather not do), and I shall actually exercise. Like, you know, fit people. Which I used to be. Honest!

As you know, body, I was once an awesomely fit dancer, with abs of steel and amazing calf muscles. I miss you, calf muscles. I was so used to being fit that once I stopped dancing I didn’t even know that I was no longer fit until it suddenly became exhausting to carry the groceries to the car. I took it for granted, my fitness. Instead of nurturing it, and doing the occasional sit-up in front of the television instead of just sitting, I allowed it to slip away, believing it would always be there.

Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone? And I had great abs, dammit.

So, body oh body, hear my public proclamation.

With this keyboard as my witness, I’ll never be unfit again!





Well, that may be a bit rash. I’ll definitely try to never be unfit again.

And today I shall take the first step (literally!) toward exercise and fitness with some lovely, slightly awkward, yoga.

Right after I eat these chocolate biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment